Monday, June 7, 2021

FREE PATTERN - Hexi Mat (Part 1 - Hexagons)

 


I'm back! Long time no speak. I cannot believe that it has been so long since I last wrote my blog. Where has the time gone?

You would think working from home would free me up to type patterns and post them, right? Wrong. If anything, I find I spend more time working in front of my computer at home than I do when I am actually in the office! But today, I am righting that wrong 😁

I came up with the idea for this pattern out of a need to fill a gap. That gap being a mat needed for the base of my bathroom sink, in colours to match some of my "good towels". 

My original mat was made using 11 hexagons, but feel free to customise this pattern to your preferred size. It would even make a beautiful blanket - maybe that can be added to my to-do list... 

I recommend working up one hexagon to determine the best hook size to use for your tension and to work out how many hexagons you need to achieve the mat size you want. I used a 5.5 mm hook and a mixture of Patons Cotton Blend & Bendigo Woollen Mills 8 ply (DK) cotton yarns in 8 different colours. At a guess, equivalent to 50g of each colour and 150g of the white was used for the whole project, but as I was stash busting, I cannot guarantee this is accurate. 

Hexagon measurements: from left point to right point = 20 cm & top to bottom = 18 cm.

Don't worry if your hexagon is larger or smaller than mine. You can either go with the flow, adjust the hook size used or add more (or less) hexagons to achieve the desired mat size!


MATERIALS

Yarn:    Cotton yarn in 8ply/10 ply (medium weight 3/4), worked double stranded, in various  colours

(Number of balls needed will depend on number of colours used and tension)

Hook:    5 - 6.5 mm (There is no right or wrong choice)

Darning needle

Scissors

 

KEY (This pattern is written in US terms)  

MR - Magic ring

ch - Chain  

sc - Single crochet (UK double crochet)

hdc - Half double crochet (UK half treble crochet)

dc - Double crochet  (UK treble crochet)   

sl st - Slip stitch 

beg - Beginning

 

 INSTRUCTIONS

Rnd 1

In MR, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc, ch 2. Repeat [2dc, ch 2] x5. Sl st to join to top of beg ch-3. Tighten MR, fasten off and change colour. 

 

Rnd 2

Sl st join new colour in any ch-2 space and ch 5 (dc + ch 2 - or work standing dc, ch 2) and dc in same ch-2 space. Ch 1. In each of next 5 ch-2 spaces repeat [dc, ch 2, dc, ch 1]. Sl st join to 3rd ch of beg ch-5 (or standing dc). 

 

Rnd 3

Ch 1. Sc in same ch-1 space. Repeat [in next ch-2 space (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc), sc in next ch-1 space] x5, omitting last sc. Sl st join to beg sc. Fasten off and change colour.

 

Rnd 4

Sl st join to any sc from previous rnd, ch 1 and sc in same st (or standing sc). Repeat [Skip next st (previous rnd dc) and dc in next st before ch-2 space. In ch-2 space (3dc, ch 3, 3dc), dc in next st, skip st, sc in next st (previous rnd sc)] x6, omitting last sc. Sl st join to beg sc. Fasten off and change colour.

 

Rnd 5

Sl st join to any sc from previous rnd, ch 1 and sc in same st (or standing sc). Repeat [Skip next st (previous rnd dc) and dc in next 3 sts. In ch-2 space (3dc, ch 3, 3dc), dc in next 3 sts, skip st, sc in next st (previous rnd sc)] x6, omitting last sc. Sl st join to beg sc. Fasten off and change colour.

 

Rnd 6

Sl st join in any ch-3 space, ch and sl st in same space. Repeat [sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, skip st (previous rnd sc), dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, (sl st, ch 1, sl st) in ch-3 space] x6, omitting last (sl st, ch 1, sl st). Sl st join to beg sl st and fasten off.

Weave in all ends.

 

Make as many hexagons as you need and don't forget to block them. This is important for maintaining a consistent shape for your project. 

Adjust any of the colour changes as you like. Have fun with creating your own style.

Part 1 is done, but I will see you back here for Part 2 soon! 


I hope you enjoyed making these as much as I did. Please tag me on Instagram or Facebook with your wonderful creations @MuchAdoAboutCrochet. I would love to see what design & colour choices you make!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LADY BETTY GRANNY SQUARE

  I feel as though I must apologise for my long absence here and I really do not have a good excuse, except for the time it takes to write u...