Sunday, February 7, 2021

Crochet crazy - no more room left at the inn!

I have decided that I am sorely in need of a craft room! 

As I look around the lounge room, I notice a distinct lack of sitting and eating space, thanks to my many crochet projects on the go,which I again need to somehow tidy up. My mum would be horrified by the mess (don't read this mum!) and my two son's have already complained about the limited couch space...but what is the solution? 

I have already made a few storage options; the obligatory crocheted basket, which sits on the floor taking up valuable floor space and a crocheted bag or two, literally hanging around. Oh, and I have also purchased those wonderful plastic tubs, which are so large that you can't fit them anywhere that isn't unsightly or sticking out from the shelf, and you knock them every time you walk by! So, I have resorted to filling my camphor chest with as much yarn as it can hold and leaving my current crochet projects 'on display' - and there are several current projects at the moment.

Which leads me to wonder, as an aside, how many projects does everyone else have on the go at any given time? I tend to need variety. Especially when it takes me a while to be satisfied with a design I am working on, that just doesn't seem to gel in reality with what I have envisioned in my mind. But I digress. Back to my storage dilemma.

Now, I know my mum would say (and has said in the past), "Stop buying yarn!", but she just doesn't understand the pull of a newly released, gorgeous yarn, or the delights of online yarn shopping during COVID-19 lock down, where you definitely spend more money than you should on potential projects to keep you busy, whilst you stay at home. I just have so many ideas floating around in my head, that I get a little carried away with the advance yarn purchases. And the worst thing I did was subscribe to several American craft stores' e-newsletters. Whilst our own Australia Post in Victoria has been struggling with package deliveries, I often get my yarn order from the USA in less time. So who wouldn't go a little crazy?

To add to this are my many crochet subscription boxes, that are yet to find a shelf to call home. They are strategically decorating some floor space at the moment, waiting for a temporarily-forever home, as many of the projects are yet to be completed. Despite the boxes being absolutely gorgeous in design, once the projects are complete, they are re-purposed as gift boxes to limit the household clutter.

Yep, I am definitely in need of storage help (notice that I am avoiding the elephant in the room, which is my recent excessive yarn buying?).

Which has led me to consider my immediate options. Namely, the need for a big, house-wide clean out to free up cupboard space! And yes, that also includes ripping the band aid off and donating some of the yarn in my stash that comes from my late grandmother, and which I am unlikely to use. (Sad sigh). As everyone knows, you have to make a mess to clean a mess, so I think I am going to be quite busy in the next couple of weeks going from cupboard to cupboard to free up some space. However, I still haven't changed my mind on one thing...

I really need a craft room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LADY BETTY GRANNY SQUARE

  I feel as though I must apologise for my long absence here and I really do not have a good excuse, except for the time it takes to write u...